Total Pageviews

Wednesday 25 November 2015

Construction Girl with Renee Desjardins

Toronto, ON -To quote Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, every crane occupying the skyline of Toronto represents one-thousand jobs.

Whether or not those numbers actually add up is a fact yet to be seen, but there’s no debating Toronto is experiencing a construction boom; for better or for worse Hogtown is booming and people are making the best of it, some making inroads to careers that are typically occupied by men.

“My name is Renee Desjardins and I am Construction Girl.” Renee Desjardins didn’t always have her head in the clouds like those ominous cranes we see. At one point in her life she saw herself in a different kind of creative pursuit.

“When I was a little girl,” says Desjardins, “ I dreamt of being a writer; I use to write stories and re-write t-v theme songs”






Now in adulthood, Desjardins finds herself in a completely different line of work. “The company I’m currently working for is Tucker High Rise Construction.” Despite the fact that hers is a non-traditional role for a female, Desjardins says she has experienced some very positive feedback on the worksite.

“I’ve established a very mentor like relations ship with my site superintendent and my site VP; they’re pushing me towards getting out on the site and towards education.”

And there’s no doubt about it, Desjardins says that she is “one to watch,” stating that Tucker High Rise has invested in her career to ensure she moves forward, both in terms of time spent with her and her time on site. And Desjardins says getting where you want to be in construction is “no accident.”

“Tucker High Rise has made it incredibly clear that they are willing to invest in me both in terms of time spent with me as well as my educational pursuits – they’re very encouraging, pushing me towards education and getting on site more.”

Desjardins highlights that it’s never easy to get ahead for anyone, but particularly for women in construction. Desjardins says you have to be tenacious, you have to push, you have to be somewhat aggressive to get to where you need to be; you can’t be a wallflower, you have to ask for what you need and want and just go for broke.”

Desjardins went on to say that on her worksite, there are well over 200 men working in the trades compared to a mere handful of women.

No comments:

Post a Comment